BEAUTIFUL LAWNS - AT WHAT PRICE?
Toxic Plants and Mulch

THIS IS NOT JUST ABOUT YOUR PET HEALTH - IT'S ABOUT YOU & YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY
 

Numerous studies are showing that the green lawns that many landscapers produce may come with a dangerous price tag. Yard pesticides have been linked to a four-fold increase in childhood cancers. One study, in the journal of Environmental Science and Technology, concluded that 3% of "dislodgeable turf residues" (the portion of a pesticide application that does not adhere to the grass), are tracked indoors. And a study led by the National Cancer Institute found that in households where lawns were chemically treated four or more times a year, the risk of canine malignant lymphoma was twice as high as for dogs in households with untreated lawns. The links below will give you more in-depth information. Please use only organic sprays on your yard - investigate products such as LIQUID FENCE.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/CHEMICALS.HTM
http://vonhapsburg.homestead.com/Toxictimebombs.html
http://www.newlenox.org/News/CrierSummer01.html#FAMILY%20SERVICES
http://ravenwooddals.tripod.com/cancer.htm
http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/poisonspet.htm
http://www.perseusfoundation.org/newsletters/kodiak.pdf
http://www.gcamerica.org/lawnbrochure.htm
http://www.jrussellshealth.com/pests24d.html
http://www.perseusfoundation.org




Toxic Plants List



Also note the dangers now in MULCH sold at many stores that contain cocoa beans and have killed/made ill many dogs. Make sure you ask in the stores what is in the mulch!


COCOA MULCH DANGERS

Sent to us by Meagan Karnes, of Fur Crazy Pet Care.

Yesterday, one of our friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family. I was hoping you could forward this to your contact list.

Over the weekend, they purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. They set the bag in their yard. Their dog Calypso, decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat so she broke into it and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical of her when she would get into something she shouldn’t have gotten in to. She was not acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly. Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company’s website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs. Denise (Calypso’s mom) wanted me to pass this information along so no one had to experience the same tragedy she went through.

In Loving Memory of Calypso.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine".

It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution ? check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate. Especially dark or baker's chocolate- Which is toxic to dogs.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Please click here to email the manufacturer and request that accurate information about this product be posted on the packaging to avoid further tragedy.

And please include Calypso's family in your prayers. Such tragedy is shocking, made so much worse by the fact that it could have been avoided had the manufacturers taken some responsibility for their product.

Thank You.

The Ultimate Pet Health Resource